BETH ANDREWS | biography:
Beth Andrews is a native North Carolinian with roots in the Piedmont and northwestern mountains which reach back to the 1700s. As a child, serious health problems resulted in long stays in the hospital, and it was during that period, at age 10, that she was given an oil painting set and made the decision to become an artist.
She pursued her art studies at UNC-Greensboro where she obtained a Fine Arts degree in Painting and Printmaking (with a secondary emphasis in pottery). After graduating, she worked as a resident artist for the NC Arts Council “Third Century Artists” program—a visiting artist program which placed artists in communities across the state to build on local arts resources and develop new initiatives. Over three years and in three counties, she worked with adults and children creating murals in the schools, building a community pottery program and teaching drawing, painting, and pottery. The conclusion of this program was a group exhibit in Raleigh at the NC Museum of Art.
Andrews has worked as a graphic designer, and illustrator for over 30 years. Pulled by opposite worlds (fine art and commercial art), she began to integrate elements from both, loving the juxtaposition of opposites. Andrews integrates collage and mixed media with traditional painting and drawing, discovering a second language to express what is not seen as well as what is seen. Her work is about creating a sense of wholeness and balance between seemingly disparate elements while exploring what we believe has value, what we long for and what we throw away.
In 2004, she moved to the mountains of NC and refocused her attention on painting and exhibiting. Her studio at the Yadkin Cultural Arts Center in Yadkinville, NC is open to visitors.
· Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Painting and Printmaking / UNC-Greensboro·
· Hospital Artist in Residence Training / The Art Center / New York
Third Century Artists / Artist in Residence
· North Carolina Arts Council / 1 year residency in Surry County
· North Carolina Arts Council / 1 year residency in Yadkin County
· North Carolina Arts Council / 1 year residency in Wilkes County
Arts Related Non-Profit
· NC Arts for Health / Board member
· Co-founder Life Enrichment Program - Wilmington, NC
· Cancer Resource Alliance Advisory Board and Art Committee - Boone, NC